What headphones do you use?

Started by Juiceh, September 20, 2015, 02:56:24 PM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Previous topic - Next topic

{FH}DamagedGoods

That Guy
Retired Member
*
Regular
Posts: 108
Logged
So, Ben.ac and Pseudo-Diety....can you give some tips on how you use sound in game? I try to use it effectively, and with mixed results (one of the reasons i lose interest in full maps--just too much going on in the audio environment). Any particular settings that you would be willing to share?

BTW, I totally get it if this part of your secret COD4 Domination recipe and are reluctant to share...there will be no hard feelings if you tell me to go pound sand...lol

Godlike

My balls do not blend
Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 287
Man of 1,000,000 names
Location: Arizona
Logged
Quote from: {FH}DamagedGoods on August 28, 2016, 10:30:40 PM
So, Ben.ac and Pseudo-Diety....can you give some tips on how you use sound in game? I try to use it effectively, and with mixed results (one of the reasons i lose interest in full maps--just too much going on in the audio environment). Any particular settings that you would be willing to share?

BTW, I totally get it if this part of your secret COD4 Domination recipe and are reluctant to share...there will be no hard feelings if you tell me to go pound sand...lol
My autoexec.cfg is available somewhere on here, i have music and background (artillery shells and whatnot) disabled. If you run dead silence, you should be able to use any stereo headset to pinpoint player locations. Padded footsteps, reloads, armor jingle, player models landing on certain surfaces, and weapon swaps are all telegraphed.
"Different strokes for different folks. FH welcomes all."

{FH}DamagedGoods

That Guy
Retired Member
*
Regular
Posts: 108
Logged
autoxec.cfg?

You mean the config_mp? or am i confused

Godlike

My balls do not blend
Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 287
Man of 1,000,000 names
Location: Arizona
Logged
Quote from: {FH}DamagedGoods on August 29, 2016, 12:00:09 AM
autoxec.cfg?

You mean the config_mp? or am i confused
Nah, autoexec.cfg


Its a configuration file that is loaded as soon as you start the game, it contains all of your tweaks and settings changes (beyond what is visible in the "settings" menu).
Its for people like me that enable/disable certain things they dont like (smaller FOV, depth of field, specular map effects, useless background information).
"Different strokes for different folks. FH welcomes all."

{FH}DamagedGoods

That Guy
Retired Member
*
Regular
Posts: 108
Logged
Understood, probably wasnt looking for it in the right place. Checking again

Godlike

My balls do not blend
Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 287
Man of 1,000,000 names
Location: Arizona
Logged
It doesnt exist by default, you have to make it.
"Different strokes for different folks. FH welcomes all."

{FH}DamagedGoods

That Guy
Retired Member
*
Regular
Posts: 108
Logged
Yeah, didnt realize that at first, pretty sure i have it in the right place, not sure the target field command is pickin it up though. I messed with the graphics settings in game and was able to get past 60fps tho, did quite a bit better tonight bouncing between 130-200.

Godlike

My balls do not blend
Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 287
Man of 1,000,000 names
Location: Arizona
Logged
Quote from: {FH}DamagedGoods on August 29, 2016, 03:10:58 AM
Yeah, didnt realize that at first, pretty sure i have it in the right place, not sure the target field command is pickin it up though. I messed with the graphics settings in game and was able to get past 60fps tho, did quite a bit better tonight bouncing between 130-200.
Turn your settings down, increase your cg_fov (80 is max i think), and max out your FPS at 333 (or 250). Lower texture settings until you get a consistant framerate (it is possible on almost ANY rig).
"Different strokes for different folks. FH welcomes all."

{FH}Striker

Senior Admin
*****
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 545
Logged
#23
I use a set of RAZER headset  with surround sound with a vol control,I can hear players walking all the time when I have them on.
Great for gaming and music, cost me $80.00 at Best Buy. I just wish vol had a greater range for music.
I have hearing damage when I was a range shooting coach, and a member the Marine Corps rifle team. We were using the .30 cal. larger weapons then ....Dumb about the use of earplugs :spank 

Cad80_99

User
Posts: 24
Logged
yeah I use a razer headset as well.  I only wish mine had the inline mute button for the mic.  but I love them.  was debating on astro pair or razer.  astros are 150$ and if you want the mix amp 250$.  but I heard the mix amp was not needed for pc.  as you can just get software downloaded. 

so the razer was 80$ as said at best buy but I got on sale for 50$.  they also had my favorite color, neon orange. 

majachii

Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 235
Location: CALI
Logged
Quote from: }AEK{Striker on August 29, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
I use a set of RAZER headset  with surround sound with a vol control,I can hear players walking all the time when I have them on.
Great for gaming and music, cost me $80.00 at Best Buy. I just wish vol had a greater range for music.
I have hearing damage when I was a range shooting coach, and a member the Marine Corps rifle team. We were using the .30 cal. larger weapons then ....Dumb about the use of earplugs :spank

what are those? never heard such a thing ;)

HGWookie

Hoopy Frood
Retired Member
*
User
Posts: 26
“WAGRRRRWWGAHHHHW WWRRGGAWWWWWWRR.” - Chewbacca
Location: California, United States
Logged
I am currently using the HyperX cloud set. Extremely comfortable and almost entirely soundproof. When I am in game, I can't even hear my little brother talking to his friends 5 feet behind me.

They are surround sound (I can't remember right now if it's 5.1 or 7.1) but I am able to pick up footsteps and weapon sounds from decent range and location accuracy. This is without any special sound editing or anything.

Retail price is about $90 and I think they are worth every penny.

10/10 would highly recommend.

Shoutout to Jonah for help with the title.

[NF]Obi-Wan

Limited Access
*
Regular
Posts: 107
Logged
I've never had an actual advanced sound card on my PC but from the way I understand it, if you have one that's very good, I assume that you can turn any headset, even the most basic, the cheapest low build one to be a surround sound beast?

My very first actual gaming headset was a Razer Kraken which I loved, it made you hear dead silence, made you hear things loud enough etc, which was very nice and it got destroyed by my bird later on.

I don't really remember what I had next but I had a Logitech H230 but this was a long time ago that I can't really remember if it was reliable for gaming, specifically FPS for sound positioning but I imagine that it probably should have done excellently, which broke later on because of my bird, what a waste...

Next I had a Logitech G430 and I can remember this as I used it probably throughout the whole of 2013 and it was good, positioning and all that was fantastic. Broken by bird.

The next one I had was the Roccat Kave 5.1 surround sound headset which was bulky, and even had 3 support pads at the head area to distribute the weight. It was fantastic, it made you hear everything for sure, and you can really crank up the volume, but it made me feel deaf after a few weeks from time to time due to it bbeing so loud and me not wanting to lower the volume. Technically it still works but the side cup ggot twisted and cracked by my nephew. Tape or super glue unfortunately didn't work. Can't use it these days as well due to me not having a video card, it needs one apparently for you to use it, or something along that line.

The next one I used was a Sennheisser Momentum In Ear and it being Sennheiser, you can already say apart from music, gaming was wonderful. At first since I said earlier on I didn't have a very good sound card, well still don't, plugging it in my PC while gaming didn't help much for me, it was so so bad. I had these gaming speakers which had thhe option for you to put a plug in and so I attached that speaker to the pc, then my sennheiser to thhe speaker, lo and behold, it worked fantastically... I accidentally sat on it and now only one side works, ever since Feb 2016... I'll have it mailed to a guy who knows how to repair these things so there's hope for that baby yet.

I also got a steel series siberia v2 and plugging it did the same result with the original one I did with sennheiser, did very very badly but I don't think I hhad the speaker at the time so I couldn't test it and see how good it could do, but same as the sennhheiser again, one side doesn't work, will be mailing it to that person too.

I used a pair of attic sennheisers with no cushion pad for thhe left earcup for a good 5 months last year, and worked very well, even without the speaker, and now I have this headset from the clothing line: True Religion which isn't really supposed to be that good after all, it did come from a clothhing line, just think of Forever 21, Guess etc making headsets and that's what I have now is. Nevertheless, it actually has good sound positioning as well as dead silence.

My clan mate is gonna be mailing me her old headset after she bought a new one, I'm gonna get a Razer Kraken USB version. I'm pretty excited to use it and have a quality headset once again, and no birds are gonna be destroying this one so help me God.

[NF]Obi-Wan

Limited Access
*
Regular
Posts: 107
Logged
If I could afford to fix it, I'd go for a steel series siberia cuz I'm a steel series fan boy  :quagmire: Buuut since the razer kraken I'll be getting is USB, I can expect it to be good since in my case a USB will be much better than plug in since bad pc and all.

I haven't played with any of my headsets for a long time to give any solid recommendation other than they were all pretty good so yeah, but no brainer for sennheissers, if you can afford it then by God go get the most expensive one you can get because it's going to orgasmate your ears

ModelEngine

Limited Access
*
Regular
Posts: 64
Should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?
Location: Canada
Logged
I use Sennheiser's PC310 Gaming Headset. Since they are over-ear, they don't make your ears hot whatsoever.