In Memoriam: Dark Friar (Don)

Started by |FH|Jock Ych, April 29, 2017, 12:13:47 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Previous topic - Next topic

|FH|Jock Ych

*****
Expert Supreme!!
Posts: 1,302
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Logged
Dear members and friends of FH,

It is with sadness that I report that Don (Dark Friar) passed away late last night or in the early AM hours today.  Roy (Striker) informed me that he received a call from Don's wife at 2:00 AM this morning with the news and asked him to pass it on to us at FH.  As some of you know, Don had been struggling with his health for some time now.  The last month his health had been rapidly failing and he had taken a couple nasty spills.  Don had recently spent 4 days in the hospital for a blood disorder and was having a tough time recovering and according to Roy he did not look well.  Beyond that I don't have any further information.

Don was a long time former member of FH and continued to be a friend to several here and to our clan as a whole.  I believe Don played the game for the social aspects more than the gaming side of things and always was one to initiate a friendly conversation.  He had a strong faith in God (hence his name) and I know the family takes comfort in the promises of Christ. Don was 66 years old --  gone too soon.  Our sympathies go to his wife, Virginia, and his whole family during this time of loss.

If more information becomes available to me, I'll add to this thread.  If others have information or wish to share your remembrances or thoughts, your posts are welcome.

Rest in peace, Don.

Jock
"Would I rather be feared or loved?  Easy, both.  I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."   Michael Scott

|FH|Live

Executive
******
Big Time Pro
Posts: 423
Location: Virginia
Logged
Don was a very kind person.  A father, husband, grandfather and good friend.  It is very sad to hear of his passing.  He was a very friendly person and as Jock already mentioned, cared more about the relationships with other players rather than being super competitive.  It was a pleasure to have played with him and get to know him some on a personal level.  My deepest condolences go out to his family. 

Apoc

Retired Member
*
Expert Supreme!!
Posts: 1,225
Location: Alantas
Logged
It has been an honor and privilege to have been his friend
" He thinks that he can challenge me, he can't"

{FH}zMan

Executive
******
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 579
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Logged
You were a kind hearted soul and a good friend Don. May you rest in peace.. :darkfriar
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe



Juiceh

Alias: Juiceh
Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 212
Location: Victoria, Australia
Logged
Rest in peace Don. We'll miss playing with you.

Lone Wolf

Retired Member
*
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 529
Logged
Don was the one that got me to join the clan. He was always very friendly to me,had  some very good talks with him on skype. he loved Blues music so I would send links for some good blues music to him he loved that and would thank me many times.  we all knew he had some heath problems but 66 is
to young to past.... REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND










TopGun

Retired Member
*
User
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
Logged
Sorry to hear about don he was a very good person . he will be missed
Dave

{FH}Blah

Executive
******
Experienced Regular
Posts: 239
Logged
One of the kindest and friendliest person one could meet. RIP Darkfriar
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. -Robert Frost
__________________________________________________________

Silent G3

Retired Member
*
Experienced Regular
Posts: 183
Location: Manchester, England, UK
Logged
{FH}Lone Wolf gave me the sad news yesterday shortly after I joined the FFA server playing as SAM.
A true FH legend was Don (Dark Friar) & one of the nicest, friendliest persons I've ever had the pleasure to text chat with online.
He loved the clan with a passion & in many ways it was his extended family I believe.
Rest in peace now soldier - you're one hero who'll never be forgotten.
Condolences from across the pond.......
Silent G3
(Simon).
Long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, balanced on the biggest wave, you race toward an early grave.

{FH}G.I.Jane

Executive
******
Experienced Regular
Posts: 295
Location: California
Logged
So sad to hear about Dark Friar. My heartfelt condolences go out to all of his loved ones. He was always quick with a friendly 'hello' when ever I hopped on.. He will be missed....God Bless you Don, you are home...
IC XC NIKA

{FH}spankeem

*****
Expert Supreme!!
Posts: 1,081
Logged
As much as I am lost for words for the loss of this gentle amazing man, I found some FH stats that I wanted to share:

Don aka Dark Friar
Player ID:  1814
Connections: 6594
Kills: 125949

A classic warning he received when he was asking someone to change their name cheered me up:

"Fuckno please change your name now please"

Roy - are you able to let Dons family know that Don may not have gotten out too much with his health, but each day he connected with people around the world and made a lot of friends who are very sad to hear of his passing as he was much loved by all.  It gives me some peace knowing of Don's faith and I hope this gives peace to his family and friends.

Don, thank you so much for being you.  You were a man whom I would love to have met in person and I'm sorry we never had the chance.  Rest easy brother :sad:

{FH}Striker

Senior Admin
*****
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 545
Logged
#11
Four or five times in ones life you meet someone who leaves a lasting impression in your life...Don Wacker was such a man
to me...I shall NEVER forget him.

Those of us who knew Don...we knew he enjoyed the game of COD and the two clans he had been a member of .  He loved the comradeship, the communication , making new friendships and renewing and restoring ones from the past... That's
just what Don loved to do. If you ever needed a public relations man ... Don would be that man, You could find no better.

But let me tell you a side of Don that most just scratched the surface of .
Don and i became brothers... We sometimes talked for considerable lengths of time on Skype... everyday, sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. If we missed a couple of days for one reason or the other, I could expect a phone call from New Jersey, clear across the country from him wanting to know if I was okay.
We talked about anything and everything, Things you only share with your very closest of friends.

Don loved and adored his wife Virginia and Virginia loved and adored him. Don was a devoted family man, He loved meeting and talking to people . He had this magnetism about himself... that brought the best out of people.
He told me a couple of times, " If you can't say something good about a person, Then it's best probably not to say anything at all."
I don't think I ever heard a cuss word out of Don...I will tell you this ,,, more than once , I felt rather foolish and offered a feeble apology of some of my poor choice of words..
Don was a religious man and a active member of the Roman Catholic church.

I am really going to miss Don, He had become very important part of my daily life.

The world needs more men like DON WACKER...He was a TRUE FRIEND.... a KIND GENTLE SOUL and a GENTLEMAN to the end ........................
Rest in peace Brother .

I will pass on funeral information for anyone who wants to send  flowers as soon as they become available.   

Apoc

Retired Member
*
Expert Supreme!!
Posts: 1,225
Location: Alantas
Logged
found an Intro i did for Don ages ago..  idk kinda fits now :(
" He thinks that he can challenge me, he can't"

|FH|Rusty

Clan Leader
*******
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 722
Logged
Nice one Apoc.  We are going to miss seeing him around. RIP Don.
"I see dead people"

{FH}Striker

Senior Admin
*****
Seasoned Expert!!
Posts: 545
Logged
Nice Gary, I am sure Don would think so too.